Can I work as a carer in Germany?

In order to work as a carer in Germany on a long-term basis, you will need official approval. The authority in charge of granting approval will base its decision on the following criteria:

  • Recognised qualification: The qualifications you gained as a carer in your home country must be recognised in Germany. To this end, the responsible authority will assess whether your Professional qualification is equivalent to a German qualification in the same field. If this is not the case, you can sit an exam or undergo an adaptation period to acquire the qualifications you are missing.
  • Sufficient knowledge of the German language: Your knowledge of German must correspond to level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
  • Physical and mental fitness for the job: You will require a medical certificate from a German doctor, stating that you are physically and mentally fit to work as a carer.
  • Reliability: A criminal records check will document that you are trustworthy. If you intend to stay for less than twelve months, a criminal records check from your country of origin will suffice. If you would like to live in Germany for more than a year, you will require a German criminal records check.

You can find further information on the topics of recognition, exams, adaptation period and the relevant German authorities on Make sure to enter the keywords “geriatric nurse” or “healthcare assistant” into the search engine of the Recognition Finder.

Opportunities for citizens of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia and the Philippines

If you are a carer from Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia or the Philippines, you can benefit from special agreements between Germany and your home country. You can submit your application documents to a job centre in your country and attend an initial job interview if a suitable position arises. In addition, you can apply for the “Triple Win” pilot project. This project is conducted by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) and the Federal Employment Agency (BA). Once you have been admitted to the project, a suitable job as a carer in Germany will be found for you. In addition, you can participate in free language and preparation courses and have your qualifications recognised during your first couple of months’ work in Germany. The Triple Win project will support you in this process.

For further information on the Triple Win project, please send an email to triplewin(at)