Your chances:

You are working as a researcher in Germany and would now like to set up a company that is related to your research activities? For this purpose, you must apply for a residence permit for self-employment at your competent foreigners authority

Among other conditions, these are the requirements you must meet:

  • You can secure your livelihood.
  •  If you are older than 45 years of age, you must have proof of adequate retirement provision.


Questions regarding self-employment in Germany: 

  • Find out about the available special consulting and information services in the Advisory services section.

Do you have any questions?

Let us advise you on your opportunities to work and live in Germany. Our experts will support you with questions regarding job search, visa, recognition and learning German. 

You can find out more about the various contact options by clicking on one of the icons in the top bar.

Smiling young woman working on her laptop at work
Skyline of Hamburg