Five steps to working in Germany


Discover Germany with your family

If you have direct family members, you have the possibility of bringing them with you straight away. For qualified foreign workers, that's quite simple. To do so, your family members require a visa. Then you need to find places for your children in a nursery or school. We explain how to do this here.

A visa for your family

As an EU citizen, you do not need a Residence permit when you move to Germany. If you come from another country, a few immigration rules apply to your family. Take your time to read the conditions. You will see that they are not an obstacle to your coming as a foreign worker. More

Opportunities for families

Perhaps your spouse would like to work in Germany too? You can find out the conditions required for doing so here.

Your children in good hands

Register your youngest children with a day nursery or kindergarten. There is no obligation to do so, but for your youngest children it’s a great chance to make friends and learn German. There are also plenty of international kindergartens. We explain how to find a good day nursery or suitable kindergarten here.

Finding the right school

Is your child over six years old? In that case, you need to look for the right school, because in Germany, school is obligatory for children. One sign of a good school is if it offers extra-curricular activities such as music and theatre groups or sports clubs, for example. Moreover, most schools in Germany are state-run – and therefore free of charge. Many of them are “twinned” with schools abroad. There might even be a school which has links with a school in your home country. More

Make it in Germany live Q&A session on July 26 from 13:00 to 15:00 CET

Do you want to live and work in Germany? We answer all your questions live on our Twitter channel

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. More information