Working in Germany: the official website
for qualified professionals

Registration of your business

Before you can set up a business in Germany, you need to deal with the paperwork. First of all, it is important to know whether you are going to work on a self-employed (gewerblich) or freelance (freiberuflich) basis. Freelancers need to register with the tax office (Finanzamt). If you want to register as a self-employed entrepreneur, you will need to contact your local trade office (Gewerbeamt). The Authority Finder will guide you towards the authorities you will need to deal with and will tell you where they are.

Please note: You may find it challenging to deal with the various authorities. However, you should try and utilise their support. Make sure to prepare your meetings with the authorities well – that way, you are likely to get the support you need. It is important to complete the paperwork on time. Don’t be scared off by the bureaucracy, and find out beforehand which registrations and approvals you need.

Contact us


Send us your questions about living and working in Germany in German or English. We will answer as soon as we can.

Write email


In our chat you can put your questions to our specialists in German or English, rapidly and without prior login.

To the chat


You can get personal advice in German and English over our hotline. We look forward to your call!

To the hotline


Here you'll find answers to the most frequently asked questions about living and working in Germany, as well as about our Web site and partners.

Read FAQs


This website uses cookies. By continuing to browse the website, you agree to our use of cookies.