Working in Germany: the official website
for qualified professionals

Competent authority

The Recognition Finder on the Recognition in Germany portal helps you find the competent authority (chamber of trade or federal state authority).

The competent authorities are responsible for determining the equivalence of diplomas and issuing certificates of equivalence.

Competent authorities for recognition of professional qualifications

  • For all manual occupations: the Chamber of Crafts (Handwerkskammer, HWK)
  • For all professional qualifications covered by the Chambers of Industry and Commerce (Industrie- und Handelskammer, IHK): IHK FOSA [Foreign Skills Approval] and the IHKs of Hanover, Braunschweig and Wuppertal-Solingen-Remscheid
  • For agricultural qualifications: the Chambers of Agriculture
  • For qualifications in the liberal professions: the chambers and associations of the liberal professions
  • For other regulated professions: the respective federal state authorities 
Information on the web

Recognition of qualifications in Germany

Show more

Contact us


Send us your questions about living and working in Germany in German or English. We will answer as soon as we can.

Write email


In our chat you can put your questions to our specialists in German or English, rapidly and without prior login.

To the chat


You can get personal advice in German and English over our hotline. We look forward to your call!

To the hotline


Here you'll find answers to the most frequently asked questions about living and working in Germany, as well as about our Web site and partners.

Read FAQs


This website uses cookies that are strictly necessary for the technical operation of the website and are always set. Other cookies requiring consent, to personalize content and ads and to analyse access to our website, are set only with your consent. We also share information about your use of our website with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.