Working in Germany: the official website
for qualified professionals

Work visa

Generally, international qualified workers from third countries must apply for a visa at the German embassy in their country of origin before entering Germany. When doing so, presenting a signed employment contract is an important prerequisite.

Tip: An applicant from a non-EU country can sign the employment contract (with restrictions) before he or she has obtained a valid visa. You can note within the employment contract that it will only come into effect as soon as a valid visa is issued.

Depending on the level of qualification, the following types of visas are valid for taking up employment:

Find out which requirements apply to the respective types of visas and how the visa process works on “Make it in Germany”, under the section “Visa”.

Once the international qualified professional has arrived in Germany, he or she has to apply for a residence permit. It is issued by the Foreigners’ Authority together with the permit to take up employment in Germany.

Important: The entry visa always serves a specific purpose. When applying for a visa, the correct intended purpose of stay must be stated. Entry for touristic purposes (Schengen visa) does generally not entitle its holder to obtain employment in Germany. It excludes the issuing of a residence permit for the purpose of employment.

Information on the web

Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community

YouTube Twitter Hotline

This website uses cookies that are strictly necessary for the technical operation of the website and are always set. Other cookies requiring consent, to personalize content and ads and to analyse access to our website, are set only with your consent. We also share information about your use of our website with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.