Working in Germany: the official website
for qualified professionals

Residence permit for a doctorate

All you need for an academic career at a German university or research institute is a residence permit. You can apply for this at the relevant Foreigners Authority. You will require a certificate of enrolment for this purpose. You must also be able to provide proof of adequate health insurance and the ability to cover your living costs.

Before applying, ask the Foreigners Authority what documents you will need to submit. Some immigration authorities also provide online information on this subject.

In addition to this, the portal Research in Germany provides important information for graduates hoping to do a PhD in Germany and gives details on financing and funding options.

Contact us


Send us your questions about living and working in Germany in German or English. We will answer as soon as we can.

Write email


In our chat you can put your questions to our specialists in German or English, rapidly and without prior login.

To the chat


You can get personal advice in German and English over our hotline. We look forward to your call!

To the hotline


Here you'll find answers to the most frequently asked questions about living and working in Germany, as well as about our Web site and partners.

Read FAQs


This website uses cookies that are strictly necessary for the technical operation of the website and are always set. Other cookies requiring consent, to personalize content and ads and to analyse access to our website, are set only with your consent. We also share information about your use of our website with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.