Working in Germany: the official website
for qualified professionals

Residence permit for vocational training

Once you have completed a course of study, you also have the opportunity to do vocational training and to apply for a residence permit in order to pursue a programme leading to professional qualifications. The decision on your application will be taken by the Foreigners Authority.

Before applying, ask the Foreigners Authority for details and find out what documents you will need to submit.

Info box:

Please note that you need to apply for the relevant residence permit before your residence permit for the purpose of studying expires.

Contact us


Send us your questions about living and working in Germany in German or English. We will answer as soon as we can.

Write email


In our chat you can put your questions to our specialists in German or English, rapidly and without prior login.

To the chat


You can get personal advice in German and English over our hotline. We look forward to your call!

To the hotline


Here you'll find answers to the most frequently asked questions about living and working in Germany, as well as about our Web site and partners.

Read FAQs


This website uses cookies that are strictly necessary for the technical operation of the website and are always set. Other cookies requiring consent, to personalize content and ads and to analyse access to our website, are set only with your consent. We also share information about your use of our website with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.