Working in Germany: the official website
for qualified professionals

Getting your school and university diplomas recognised

If you want to study in Germany, you need a qualification that gives you university entrance qualification – that is, a diploma that allows you to take up studies in your home country. In Germany, this diploma is then verified to see whether it is comparable to a German diploma giving access to higher education. Many foreign diplomas are now recognised as equivalent. You can look up which of your home country diplomas this applies to and whether or not you need to take further examinations to gain access to higher education on the German Academic Exchange Service database.

If you have already completed a course of study in your home country and want to do a Master's degree in Germany, for example, you should get your degree recognised beforehand. This is the task of the German International Office (Akademisches Auslandsamt) at the university of your choice. You will find the addresses on the German Academic Exchange Service Web site. The database of the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs (German) will also provide information about whether your diploma is recognised.

Also, think about whether taking up studies in parallel to a job is a feasible option for you. This kind of course is available either part-time, full-time or by distance learning. By doing this, you can gain professional experience in Germany as well acquiring theoretical training. You will find out more about this on

You do not have a recognised school-leaving diploma? A preparatory course is the solution.

Even if the diploma from your home country is not equivalent to a German diploma giving access to higher education, you still have a chance of studying in Germany. Before taking up your studies, you must take a preparatory course at a Studienkolleg. These university-run centres for international students provide language teaching and teaching geared to the subject you have chosen to study. Courses usually last a year. If you pass the end-of-year examination, you will be entitled to apply for a higher education course in that subject. You will find out more on the Preparatory Courses in Germany website.

Attend your first language courses

If you apply for a course which is taught in German, you will have to prove that you know enough of the language. The most current certificates of proficiency include the DSH (Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang ausländischer Studienbewerber) and TestDaf (Test für Deutsch als Fremdsprache) certificates for German as a foreign language. Since February 12, 2016, the exam "telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule" is also accepted for admission to a German-language course at all German universities and colleges. Both are equally well recognised. For courses taught in English, you do not normally have to prove that you have any knowledge of German. Even if you have attended a German school abroad or a preparatory course, you are not obliged to take this examination.

Regardless of what you study, you are advised to have a command of German corresponding to level B2. That will help you to make yourself understood without anyone else's help, whether out shopping, at the foreigners authority or at the doctor’s. Moreover, it will make it easier to have a social life and will raise your career prospects if you stay on in Germany.

If you want to take a German exam while still in your home country, you can do so in one of the 159 Goethe Institutes worldwide, for example. You will find the address of the nearest Institute to you on our interactive world map, “local contacts”. You can find out more about language examinations on the “” Web site.

Bechir from Tunisia

"It had always been my dream to become a lawyer, and so I began a law degree in Germany. Although I could already speak very good German, in lectures I always had the impression that I only understood half of what was being said. After two semesters, it was obvious to me that I wouldn’t be able to take my degree and so I decided to change courses. That was possible as I hadn’t completed the third semester. The rule is that foreign students can only change subjects during the first three semesters. When I began my electrical engineering degree, I soon noticed that it was much easier for me – fewer long texts to read and write, and instead, lots of computing. All foreign students have to realise that many university courses are more difficult than others when it comes to the language. My tip: if you have difficulties speaking German, the best thing to do is to choose a course that doesn't demand such a high standard (e.g. an engineering course, etc.)."

Enough money to live and to study

Doubtless one of the most important questions for you is how you are going to finance your studies in Germany. Moneywise, you need to plan ahead for two things

  • Semester and tuition dues: The universities in Germany do not charge tuition fees for undergraduate courses. Merely a semester fee must be paid. This includes the contributions for Studentenwerk (Student Union) and AstA (student self-government. Depending on the university, the amount is between 100 and 300 euros. Often with the payment of semester due students also receive a semester ticket for local public transport.
  • Living costs: German students spend an average of around 819 euros per month. Of this, nearly 323 euros go towards paying the rent and around 168 euros on food. Depending on the place where you study and whether you are married or single, or have children, you will need either more or perhaps less. You will find more details on expenditure while studying in the flyer of the German National Association for Student Affairs "Ein Studium finanzieren" (German).
  • Note: for international courses – Bachelor’s or Master’s courses in English, for example – other rules may apply. If you wish to take this kind of course, first ask exactly whether you have to pay fees and, if so, how much. You will find the most salient information about more than 1,550 international courses of study for the year 2018/2019 on the German Academic Exchange Service website.

Inquire about scholarships

Would you like to fund your studies by means of a scholarship? In Germany, numerous institutions provide this kind of financial aid on a monthly basis to students who meet specific conditions. These may either involve good marks, or even social commitment. However, you need to be aware that in Germany, scholarships are rarely granted from the first semester. Students in later semesters and PhD students from abroad can apply for a scholarship from the German Academic Exchange Service. Some private institutions also support foreign students. You can find out more about the possibilities of funding by the German Academic Exchange Service or other selected funding bodies for international students on its website.

Apply for a place on a course

There are two ways to apply for a place on a course of study: at numerous universities, you can apply through a special body called Uni-Assist e.V. You can find out which universities this applies to on the Uni-Assist website. If there is no Uni-Assist at the university of your choice, you can send your application directly to the university. You can find out the address of your chosen university from the list of German universities.

If you want to start your course in the winter semester, you generally have to apply by July 15 at the latest. To start a course in the summer, you usually have to submit your application by January 15 of each year. Different conditions and application deadlines may apply for certain courses. For example, for many subjects you will need to have achieved certain grades, or take an Entrance examination. You can find out more about this on the Website (German).

Contact us


Send us your questions about living and working in Germany in German or English. We will answer as soon as we can.

Write email


In our chat you can put your questions to our specialists in German or English, rapidly and without prior login.

To the chat


You can get personal advice in German and English over our hotline. We look forward to your call!

To the hotline


Here you'll find answers to the most frequently asked questions about living and working in Germany, as well as about our Web site and partners.

Read FAQs


This website uses cookies. By continuing to browse the website, you agree to our use of cookies.