Your chances:

Congratulations! With a German university degree and a binding job offer, you have a good chance of working and living in Germany. 


Have you left Germany after completing your university studies and are now living abroad?

In such case, you may apply for a work visa for qualified professionals or under certain conditions, for the EU Blue Card at the responsible German embassy in your country.

The following information might help you with your visa application:

Tip: In order to shorten your immigration process, your future employer may pay to launch an fast-track procedure for skilled workers. You may want to inform him or her about the possibility.


You have completed your university studies and now live in Germany?

If your new job starts directly after completion of your university studies in Germany, you may apply for a change of residence permit at your local foreigners authority. Find out about the requirements for an EU Blue Card or a residence permit for the purpose of qualified employment in the EU Blue Card section or the Work visa for qualified professionals section. 


Information: Special regulations apply to citizens of Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro and Serbia regarding the access to the German labour market. 

Do you have any questions?

Let us advise you on your opportunities to work and live in Germany. Our experts will support you with questions regarding job search, visa, recognition and learning German. 

You can find out more about the various contact options by clicking on one of the icons in the top bar.

Smiling young woman working on her laptop at work
Skyline of Hamburg