Working in Germany: the official website
for qualified professionals
Show/Hide Search

Your chances:

You have completed your university studies abroad and would like to work and live in Germany? This is possible with an appropriate visa for this purpose. Find out which requirements you must meet:

  • Recognition or comparability of your university degree: When applying for a visa that allows you to work as a qualified professional in Germany, you must have proof, that your foreign university degree is recognised or comparable to a German university degree. You may want to inform yourself about the procedure and the possibilities before applying for the visa. Find out more in the Foreign academic qualifications section.
  • Concrete job offer: You also need a binding job offer that corresponds to your professional qualification.

Tip: Start your job search now and find a suitable job offer on the "Make it in Germany" job listings.


Has your foreign university degree yet been recognised or comparable to a German one?

In such case, you may apply for a jobseekers visa to look for suitable employment, locally. 

The following information might help you with your visa application:

As soon as you have a binding job offer, you may apply for a residence permit for qualified employment or under certain conditions, for an EU Blue Card.


Do you require individual consultation? 

There are various ways to contact us:

Information:Special regulations apply to citizens of Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro and Serbia regarding the access to the German labour market. 

YouTube Twitter
YouTube Twitter Hotline