From the preparations to the application forms: This step-by-step guide shows you how to obtain a self-employment visa.
With a visa for self-employment, you can realise your start-up project in Germany. Depending on whether you are planning on setting up a business or working as a freelancer, different conditions may apply.
To find out whether you require a visa to enter Germany, see Who Needs a Visa?
Setting up a business
- There needs to be an economic interest in or a regional demand for your product or service.
- It is foreseeable that your company will have a positive effect on the economy.
- You are able to finance the implementation of your business concept with your own capital or through a loan commitment.
- If you are older than 45 years of age, this visa can only be issued if you can provide proof of adequate old age pension provisions.
If you would like to work as a freelancer in one of the liberal professions, you are able to obtain a residence permit for self-employment in accordance with Section 21 (5) on the Residence Act - AufenthG. You must fulfil the following requirements:
- You can provide proof of sufficient funds to finance your projects.
- You have obtained any licences required to perform the job in question.
- If you are older than 45 years of age, you must provide proof of adequate old age pension provisions.
What opportunities does the visa for self-employment offer?
A visa or residence permit for self-employment is initially issued for up to three years. If your business idea is successful and you are able to cover the costs of living for yourself and your family, the residence permit can be extended.