Do you have practical work experience in the fields of IT and communication technology? Would you like to work in Germany as an IT specialist? It is possible to receive a residence permit to obtain qualified employment in Germany in accordance with Section 19c (2) AufenthG (German Residence Act) in conjunction with Section 6 BeschV (German Employment Regulation), regardless of the degree that you hold.
To find out whether you require a visa to enter Germany, see Who needs a visa?.
What are the requirements to issue a work visa for IT specialists with significant work experience?
- You’ve been offered a job in the IT sector in Germany.
- You’re able to provide proof of at least three years of experience in the IT sector over the last seven years. Your professional experience adequately qualifies you for the job you would like to perform.
- You’re able to provide proof of the relevant theoretical knowledge required for the job in question in the form of training courses and exams.
- Your potential position in Germany is remunerated with a gross annual salary of at least EUR 51,120 (in 2021).
- Your German language skills are at least at B1 level in accordance with the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). In individual cases, the need to provide proof of German language skills may not be applicable if the language spoken at work is not German.
The German Federal Employment Agency (BA) must approve your request for employment. As part of this process, the Federal Employment Agency will assess whether your employment conditions (salary, working hours, etc.) are equivalent to those of domestic employees.
Do you fulfil these requirements? To find out more, see the procedure for the entry visa process.
What opportunities does a work visa for IT specialists offer?
As long as your work contract remains valid, you can apply to extend your residence permit. The general conditions in accordance with Section 9 AufenthG (German Residence Act) are applicable to the settlement permit.
Looking to live in Germany with your family? This is possible with this residence permit. Everything you need to keep in mind, in addition to the applicable requirements, can be found under Family reunification.
Federal Foreign Office (FFO)
Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF)