Working in Germany: the official website
for qualified professionals

Residence permit for the purpose of seeking employment

On completion of your course of study, you can apply to the relevant Foreigners Authority for a residence permit valid for up to 18 months in order to look for a job for which your type of training qualifies you (Section 20 (3) (1) AufenthG (German Residence Act)). You may accept any type of work during these 18 months. Please note that the residence permit cannot be extended in this form. Our section Looking for a job will give you plenty of useful tips on finding a job in Germany. The following requirements must be met in order to obtain a residence permit for 18 months:

  • Proof of completion of studies 
  • Proof of health insurance 
  • Proof of secured livelihood 

Before applying, ask the relevant Foreigners Authority what documents you will need to bring with you. Some authorities also provide information on this subject online.

Contact us


Send us your questions about living and working in Germany in German or English. We will answer as soon as we can.

Write email


In our chat you can put your questions to our specialists in German or English, rapidly and without prior login.

To the chat


You can get personal advice in German and English over our hotline. We look forward to your call!

To the hotline


Here you'll find answers to the most frequently asked questions about living and working in Germany, as well as about our Web site and partners.

Read FAQs


This website uses cookies that are strictly necessary for the technical operation of the website and are always set. Other cookies requiring consent, to personalize content and ads and to analyse access to our website, are set only with your consent. We also share information about your use of our website with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.