Working in Germany: the official website
for qualified professionals


You can contact us in a variety of ways. By email, chat or hotline, in German or in English – our specialists are there to help you.


The "Hotline Working and Living in Germany" offers you information, in both German and English, on topics such as looking for work, employment and careers, acceptance of qualifications from abroad, arrival and stay in Germany, and about learning German. Call +49 30 1815 1111 for a personal consultation or send an email to the Federal Employment Agency’s advisory service: make-it-in-germany(at)arbeitsagentur(dot)de. The information and advisory services offered by the Make it in Germany consultants of the GIZ in India, Indonesia and Vietnam expired at the end of 2014.

The German mission in your country will help you with any questions about visas. You can find the addresses of the German missions in your country on our "local contacts" world map.

You can get support in your job-hunting efforts by calling our “Hotline Working and Living in Germany” under the telephone number +49 30 1815 1111 or you can send an e-mail to make-it-in-germany(at)

You can ask the Federal Republic of Germany’s economic development agency, Germany Trade & Invest (GTAI). The specialists at GTAI will inform you about the possibilities of investing in Germany, as well as the background conditions and aid programmes available at your chosen location. 

The central information platform for this topic is “Recognition in Germany“. On this website you will find information on all the most important topics. If you have further questions, you can write to the “Recognition in Germany" advisors using the contact form. Alternatively, you can get advice by phone. Information about the hotline is available here.

Working in Germany

You can find out about visas under "Visa".

The conditions you have to fulfil to be able to take up employment in Germany depend on your country of origin. You can check out what possibilities are open to you on our Quick-Check.

The EU Blue Card is a stay permit for academics from non-EU countries, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Norway. Here you can find out what requirements you have to meet to get an EU Blue Card.

Yes, this is perfectly possible. The "Recognition Act" (Anerkennungsgesetz) came into effect on April 1st 2012. This act makes it easier to get foreign professional diplomas recognised. "Recognition in Germany" is the Recognition Act information portal and provides information about the legal bases and procedures for getting your Professional qualification recognised.

You can find current job offers in Germany in our job listings.

Businesses in Germany are currently searching for professionals with technical qualifications, such as engineers and IT specialists. However, there is also a need for doctors and care workers, as well as people with industrial skills. You will find more information on the types of occupation which are being sought after in the article "Professions in demand".

You will find information about this in the article "Family reunification".

Whether or not you need German skills in your job depends on your post and your employer. Whatever the case, it is extremely helpful for everyday life, as well as for an active social life, to learn some basic German. Experience shows that language level B2 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages scale is a good starting basis. In any case, learning German is not so very hard and what’s more, there are plenty of ways of getting help. You will find a few tips in the section "Learning German".

We’ve put a few tips together in the section "Jobs".

Serious employers in Germany will always give you a written work contract. You can find out what should be included in the contract in the section "Jobs".

The section "For business" provides general information about how to successfully recruit and integrate international qualified professionals.

Yes, once you have completed your studies, you are cordially invited to put your specialist knowledge and experience to good use in Germany. The article "Chances after your studies" explains what opportunities are open to you.

Yes, as a graduate of a Germany university, you can run a business or work as an independent professional, for example as an engineer. The article "Porspects after gaduation" explains the points you have to take into consideration.

No, there is no guarantee that you will find a job. Every employer makes his or her own decision as to which applicants are recruited.

Yes, here you will find helpful tips, what you have to meet for a successful choice and organisation of a further training.

Setting up a business in Germany

Welcome to Germany. With your business idea, you are making a valuable contribution to the German business landscape. Depending on where you’re from, you may require a visa. Use the Quick Check to assess your options.

Comprehensive information on visa requirements and the application process is available in the Guide to “Setting up a business”, in the article “Visa”.

Information on self-employed (gewerblich) or freelance work (freiberuflich) is available in the section on „Setting up a business“ in the article "Types of new business".

Information on developing a business plan is available here.

In Germany, there are several funding programmes, and free information is widely available. Read more in the Guide to “Setting up a business” in the article “Financing & funding”.

Living in Germany

In Germany, there is a large choice of rentals. This is why many Germans do not buy their own property, but rent instead. The section "Living in Germany" explains how you can find suitable accommodation too.

You will find a few tips in the section "Living in Germany".

You have to register with the residents' registration office (Einwohnermeldeamt) or citizens’ bureau (Bürgeramt) one week at the latest after moving in. You will find more information on this in the section "Living in Germany".

To open an account with a bank in Germany, you need your passport, residence certificate showing your place of residence (Meldebescheinigung), for certain types of account a pay slip from your employer and, with some banks, your work permit. Further information is provided in the section "Living in Germany".

In Germany, you have a large number of private operators to choose from for your Internet and telephone connection. The section "Living in Germany" explains what to look out for.

In Germany there is a multitude of different kinds of schools and nurseries. The section "Living in Germany" explains about the different kinds of child care offers and schools and how to find one suitable for you.

A good way is through sports clubs and associations. The section "Living in Germany" provides a few tips.

In nearly all larger towns there are intercultural centres, migrant organisations and associations of all kinds of religions. You will find more information on this in the section "Living in Germany".

Studying and training

If you want to study at one of the 426 or so Germany universities, you will need a recognised school-leaving diploma which qualifies you for university studies. Further information is on the Quick Check and under “Study & training".

The conditions you have to fulfil to be able to undertake vocational training in Germany depend on your country of origin. You can check out what possibilities are open to you on our Quick Check. You will find information on vocational training under "Training".

Numerous opportunities for doing a Doctorate are open to international graduates of German universities. You will find further information about this in the article: Prospects after gaduation / Doctorate.

Unlike many other countries, no tuition fees are charged for undergraduate degrees at most of the public universities in Germany. You can find out what costs you can expect to pay in the article “5 steps to studying in Germany”.

Informationen rund um das Thema Stipendien finden Sie im Artikel „In 5 Schritten zum Studium“.

Dual vocational training courses provide a special way of learning a profession in Germany. On one of these courses, you learn the theory in a vocational training school and do practical work in a company. You can find out more about what distinguishes dual vocational training courses from other courses in the article “What is a vocational training?”.

In Germany, there are around 330 different occupations that you can train for by doing a dual vocational training course. Making a choice can be difficult. The section “Training” can help you find the right occupation for you. Moreover, in the article “5 training profiles at a glance”, you can find out about work sectors in which German companies are urgently seeking recruits.

Notes on using this portal

The "Make it in Germany" portal is currently available in German, English, Spanish and French. Furthermore you will find websites with reduced content in the following languages:


At bottom centre of each page, you will find the printer symbol and "Print" option. If you click on one of them, the print preview of the page will pop up in a new window.

To be able to view documents in Portable Document Format (PDF), you need to have a programme which allows you to view PDF documents installed on your computer. If you do, you can view the PDF documents directly in your Web browser by clicking on the download link. If your browser does not support this, or if you want to save the document to your hard disk, right-click on the PDF link and select "Save target/link as...". Then select the folder on your PC to which you want to save the document.

This website is optimised for all current web browsers with a resolution of 1280x1024. If you use another resolution or an older browser version, you may find divergences in the display.

The video files are optimised for fast Internet connections. Playback quality is automatically reduced in the case of slow Internet connections. As a result, you may find delays in playback. 

Your suggestions are very welcome! There is an easy way to send them, using the contact form.

The Skilled Immigration Act came into force on 1.3.2020. The law expands the framework under which qualified professionals from non-EU countries can come to Germany. It also allows Skilled workers with vocational, non-academic training to immigrate to Germany more easily. You can find further information here.

Contact us


Send us your questions about living and working in Germany in German or English. We will answer as soon as we can.

Write email


In our chat you can put your questions to our specialists in German or English, rapidly and without prior login.

To the chat


You can get personal advice in German and English over our hotline. We look forward to your call!

To the hotline


Here you'll find answers to the most frequently asked questions about living and working in Germany, as well as about our Web site and partners.

Read FAQs


This website uses cookies that are strictly necessary for the technical operation of the website and are always set. Other cookies requiring consent, to personalize content and ads and to analyse access to our website, are set only with your consent. We also share information about your use of our website with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.