Working in Germany: the official website
for qualified professionals
Show/Hide Search

Enroling and settling in

Preparing for enrolment

Have you been accepted into a course of study? Please bear in mind that you cannot use the university's facilities, such as the library, until you have enrolled. You generally have to show up in person in order to enrol at your university. Make a careful note of the deadline and ensure that you enrol in good time. All the relevant information can be found in your letter of admission.

Applying for a residence permit

If you come to Germany from a country outside the EU/EEA for the purpose of studying, you will need a residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis) to stay – even if you did not need a visa to enter the country. For this reason, you must register with your local Foreigners' Authority within three months of entering the country. Ideally, you should consult the International Office at your university to find out which authority is responsible for your matters. You can find further information on this topic on the DAAD website.

Starting your studies successfully

The Study in Germany website has plenty of useful tips on how to successfully start to your studies in Germany and how to plan your day-to-day life.


Information on the web

Study in Germany

YouTube Twitter
YouTube Twitter Hotline