Working in Germany: the official website
for qualified professionals

Permanent EU residence permit

With the permanent EU residence permit you can also live and work in Germany permanently. The permanent EU Residence permit (Section 9a AufenthG (German Residence Act)) is a permanent residence permit which is basically comparable with the settlement permit. Holders of the permanent EU Residence permit can migrate to almost every EU country and get a Residence permit on facilitated conditions. 

You get the permanent EU Residence permit, if you:

  • have legally lived in Germany for at least five years.
  • can support yourself and your family members to make a living.
  • have a sufficient command of German and basic knowledge of the legal and social system and way of life in Germany.
  • have sufficient living space for yourself and your family.
  • have paid the compulsory or voluntary contributions to statutory pension insurance for at least 60 months.

For certain residence permits it is not possible to obtain the permanent EU Residence permit, e.g. those in possession of a Residence permit for educational purposes or for certain humanitarian reasons.

YouTube Twitter Hotline

This website uses cookies that are strictly necessary for the technical operation of the website and are always set. Other cookies requiring consent, to personalize content and ads and to analyse access to our website, are set only with your consent. We also share information about your use of our website with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.