The permanent EU Residence Permit (Section 9a AufenthG (German Residence Act)) is a permanent residence permit which is comparable to the settlement permit. Holders of the permanent EU Residence Permit can migrate to almost every EU country and get a residence permit on facilitated conditions.
You get the permanent EU Residence Permit, if you meet the following requirements:
- You have legally lived in Germany for at least five years;
- you can financially support yourself and your family members;
- you have a sufficient command of German and basic knowledge of the legal and social system and way of life in Germany;
- you have enough living space for yourself and your family;
- you have paid the compulsory or voluntary contributions to statutory pension insurance for at least 60 months.
For certain residence titles, it is not possible to obtain the permanent EU Residence Permit, e.g. those in possession of a residence permit for educational purposes or for certain humanitarian reasons.