Working in Germany: the official website
for qualified professionals

Residence permit to take up employment

As soon as you have a job offer that matches with your qualifications, you may apply for a residence permit to take up employment for which your training qualifies you (Section 18b (1) AufenthG (German Residence Act)) or an EU Blue Card (Section 18b (2) AufenthG (German Residence Act)) in order to stay. The following requirements must be met in order to obtain this residence permit or the EU Blue Card:

  • Proof of completion of studies 
  • Proof of health insurance 
  • Proof of secured livelihood (employment contract)
  • EU Blue Card: Minimum gross annual salary of €56,800 or €44,304 in STEM occupations (in 2021) 

The choice of residence permit is largely determined by your personal situation, so you should seek advice from your Foreigners Authority when submitting an application. Even if you have been offered a part-time job, you can still obtain a residence permit. It is important that your anticipated earnings are sufficient to cover the cost of living. The Foreigners Authority alone will decide on this.

Contact us


Send us your questions about living and working in Germany in German or English. We will answer as soon as we can.

Write email


In our chat you can put your questions to our specialists in German or English, rapidly and without prior login.

To the chat


You can get personal advice in German and English over our hotline. We look forward to your call!

To the hotline


Here you'll find answers to the most frequently asked questions about living and working in Germany, as well as about our Web site and partners.

Read FAQs


This website uses cookies that are strictly necessary for the technical operation of the website and are always set. Other cookies requiring consent, to personalize content and ads and to analyse access to our website, are set only with your consent. We also share information about your use of our website with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.