Group of international students at university

School-leaving certificates

Do you already know, which vocational training programme appeals to you? Please note that you may need a certain school-leaving certificate, depending on the type of vocational training.

The kind of school-leaving certificate you need for taking up vocational training in Germany depends on the occupation and programme you are interested in:

  • Dual vocational training: you do not need a school-leaving certificate in order to start training at a company in Germany. Each company decides at its own discretion which qualifications their candidates need. However, if a company has several candidates to choose from, a school-leaving certificate, good grades and adequate German language skills may be the key to getting the place. At BERUFENET you can assess your chances of getting a place as a trainee in your preferred occupation: look for the occupation you want to train for. Then click on “Ausbildung” to find out more about the admission requirements for your chosen vocational training programme.
  • School-based vocational training: in order to be admitted to a course at a Berufsfachschule or Berufskolleg (full-time vocational school) you will need to have completed basic education and provide a school-leaving certificate from a school equivalent to either a Gymnasium or Realschule. For some vocational training programmes, you also need to prove that you already have some work experience in that area (e.g. through an internship). Moreover, some vocational training programmes may have minimum age requirements. More detailed information on admission requirements for various vocational training programmes is available at BERUFENET.
  • Dual vocational degrees: in order to be admitted to a dual vocational degree combining academic studies and vocational training in a company, you need a university entrance qualification. In addition, you have to sign a vocational training contract with a company.

Recognition of school-leaving certificates

In order to find out whether you meet the requirements for a specific vocational training course, you should have your school-leaving certificate recognised. The recognition process establishes which German qualification your school-leaving certificate corresponds to, e.g. whether it is equivalent to a certificate from a Realschule (intermediate school certificate) or a German university entrance qualification. This will also make it easier for German companies to assess your qualifications. Click here to find out who is responsible for recognising your school certificates in Germany. If you only want to translate your certificates (proof of your school education or work experience) and present it in a clear and understandable form, you may want to consult Europass (website only available in German).

Do you have any questions?

Let us advise you on your opportunities to work and live in Germany. Our experts will support you with questions regarding job search, visa, recognition and learning German. 

You can find out more about the various contact options by clicking on one of the icons in the bar below.

Smiling young woman working on her laptop at work
Skyline of Hamburg