Working in Germany: the official website
for qualified professionals

Recognition procedure

Checking a foreign diploma for equivalence with the German reference occupation can result in one of several outcomes:

If the foreign qualification largely corresponds to that in Germany, a notice of equivalence is issued. If it corresponds partially, a notice of partial equivalence may be issued. This describes the main differences between it and the German reference occupation to allow targeted further training to be dispensed. This is known as the Defizitbescheid (literally “notice of deficit”). In the regulated professions, exact adaptation measures are laid down by the competent authorities.

The procedure can take up to three months from submission of a complete application. It is subject to fees according to a scale set by the competent authorities. You can find further information about the costs of the equivalence check on the Recognition in Germany portal. People with few financial resources and in particular employees doing jobs beneath their qualification can apply for financial aid for the recognition procedure. You will find further information about financial aid for the recognition procedure on the Recognition in Germany portal.

You can see exactly how the recognition procedure works from the graphic on the information portal for foreign professional qualifications. This flow chart maps the individual steps in the recognition procedure and shows potential sources of support.

Tip: Help your future employees through the recognition procedure by putting them in contact with the competent authority, explaining which documents they need and perhaps paying the costs of the procedure. On the BQ Portal website for foreign professional qualifications, you will find a checklist explaining which documents have to be provided. Furthermore, here you can find information about the content of foreign professional qualifications and get a first impression of the qualification.

Information on the web

Recognition of qualifications in Germany

Show more

Contact us


Send us your questions about living and working in Germany in German or English. We will answer as soon as we can.

Write email


In our chat you can put your questions to our specialists in German or English, rapidly and without prior login.

To the chat


You can get personal advice in German and English over our hotline. We look forward to your call!

To the hotline


Here you'll find answers to the most frequently asked questions about living and working in Germany, as well as about our Web site and partners.

Read FAQs


This website uses cookies that are strictly necessary for the technical operation of the website and are always set. Other cookies requiring consent, to personalize content and ads and to analyse access to our website, are set only with your consent. We also share information about your use of our website with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.