International team brainstorming together

Day-to-day support

Besides professional integration, your new employee also has to cope with organisational integration in Germany. Read here where and how you can support your employees.

Your new employees not only need your support in their everyday work. Additionally, you can make it easier for foreign workers to start their life in Germany by providing practical assistance with moving, settling in and administrative formalities.

Best Practice: How recruitment and integration succeed

Finding accommodation

If your foreign recruit has still not found permanent accommodation, it is a good idea to give them the contact details of local estate agents. A written, personal recommendation can also open doors for your new recruit in the search for accommodation or when carrying out administrative formalities. Inform your new recruit of what documents are required (identity papers, salary slips or work contract, possibly a Schufa record) and German rental and tenancy law. You could even accompany your new employee when visiting accommodation. Make use of a relocation service provider who will help the new recruit during the move and the integration period, if need be.

Your recruit will find useful information on finding accommodation in our "Living in Germany" section.

Support for administrative & legal formalities

Registration of residence, pension and health insurance – these are all matters for which immigrants need to make a variety of administrative visits to Germany. In addition, qualified professionals from non-EU countries must apply for a residence permit at the relevant foreigners authority within three months. If your new recruit does not have sufficient German skills yet, it makes all the more sense to provide active support for these administrative and legal matters.

Explainer video: the first 100 days in Germany

The German social security system

Foreign skilled workers who live and work in Germany have the same rights and obligations as German employees, according to social security legislation. Make sure that you apply for a replacement certificate from the tax office in good time. If the employee is coming to Germany for deployment only, the social security obligations do not apply.

Tax and social security: In most cases, foreign employees will have to pay income tax in Germany. You must inform your new recruit of this. Explain to them what taxes and social security contributions will be withheld from their gross salary. That will help them understand the differences between gross and net salary.

Compulsory insurance: Inform your new recruit in good time about the five compulsory types of insurance: health insurance, long-term care insurance, pension insurance, accident insurance and unemployment insurance. Also make sure that you register your new recruit with social security to ensure that they receive a social security card promptly and that a pension account will subsequently be opened for them. You will find more information on this topic in the "Working in Germany" section.

Statutory pension: Bring the attention of your foreign employee to the fact that if they move back to their home country, they can take any pension rights from their statutory pension insurance with them. You will find information about this topic in the "Jobs" section.

Child care

Did your new recruit bring their family to Germany? You can also help them to settle in Germany! You could provide information about how the German education system works. Do not forget that the way the preschool system may greatly differ depending on where you live. Your new recruits can also find out about the school system and preschools in Germany in the "Living in Germany" section.

Your new recruit may not be used to the idea of children being looked after in day-care facilities and preschools. As an employer, you can advise them on local childcare, provide contact details for facilities that are available and help them apply for places in day-care centres and preschools.

When registering a child for a preschool or day-care centre, there will usually be a waiting period. If this is the case, an in-home day-care provider might be an alternative. Arrange appointments with in-home day-care providers. You could offer covering some of the costs of childcare and therefore present yourself as a more attractive employer. Please find more information on about day-care for children on the website of the Bundesverband für Kindertagespflege (German Federal Association of Family Day Care).

Information on the web

  1. KOFA: Centre of Excellence for securing qualified professionals Recommended action for introducing diversity management in businesses
  2. Diversity Charter Introducing diversity management in businesses
  3. International Society for Diversity Management Diversity management missions and services

Do you have any questions?

Receive advice on recruiting skilled workers from abroad. Our experts will gladly help you. Get more information on the different ways of contacting us by clicking on one of the symbols.

Woman working at the office in front of a computer
International professionals at work in a factory hall