Working in Germany: the official website
for qualified professionals

Professional truck drivers or bus drivers from third countries

You can employ third-country nationals as drivers of trucks or buses if the Federal Employment Agency (BA) has approved their employment. Approval according to Section 24a (1) Employment Regulation (BeschV) requires drivers to possess an EU or EEA driving licence of class C1, C1E, C, CE, D1, D1E or DE and the (accelerated) EU or EEA initial qualification to drive certain vehicles for the carriage of goods or passengers.

Tip: If the skilled workers already have the required initial qualification or the EU or EEA driving licence, you can accelerate the entry process for your future employees by applying for “fast-track procedure for skilled workers” at the relevant Foreigners’ Authority.

Employment without an EU or EEA initial qualification

If you have applicants who do not yet possess an EU or EEA driving licence or an EU or EEA (accelerated) initial qualification, you can employ them in an alternative occupation, as long as you also offer them the opportunity to obtain the necessary German driving licence and German (accelerated) initial qualification.

Entering the country to take part in qualification measures requires that the applicant can prove knowledge of German at level B1 of the Common European Reference Framework. This type of employment will be approved by the BA if the following conditions according to Section 24a (2) Employment Regulation (BeschV) are fulfilled:


  • You offer your future employee an employment contract which obliges them to take part in measures for obtaining the (accelerated) initial qualification and a German driving licence alongside their employment at the company. During this time, the employee is not permitted to work as a professional driver.
  • The working conditions during the qualification measures are arranged such that your employee can obtain a German driving licence and the (accelerated) initial qualification within 15 months.
  • You guarantee your future employee a concrete offer for employment in your company in the fields of freight transport (truck driver) or passenger transport with buses (bus driver) after obtaining their EU or EEA driving licence and the (accelerated) initial qualification.
  • Proof of possession of a foreign driving licence as a professional driver in the employee’s country of origin is provided.

If your future employee has already obtained the (accelerated) initial qualification during previous employment in another EU/EEA country or Switzerland and the qualification is still valid, they may also enter the country by way of exception if they do not have an EU/EEA driving licence. In this case, the foreign driving licence must be converted in Germany within six months. Usually, this conversion process requires passing both a theoretical and practical driving test. You can find out which documents are required for the visa process in such a case from the diplomatic mission responsible.

If your future employee is aged 45 or over, they must receive a certain minimum salary for employment in Germany or be able to produce proof of a sufficient level of previously earned pension provision. In 2021, this minimum salary is 46,680 euros.


Employment approval takes place with a priority review. You can find out what you need to know as an employer about the approval process from the labour market access team of the BA. 

YouTube Twitter Hotline

This website uses cookies that are strictly necessary for the technical operation of the website and are always set. Other cookies requiring consent, to personalize content and ads and to analyse access to our website, are set only with your consent. We also share information about your use of our website with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.