Woman standing at the airport to enter Germany

Visa for jobseekers

Having difficulty finding a job from abroad? Find out here how to apply for a jobseeker visa.

With the visa for the purpose of looking for a job in accordance with Section 20 (1) (2) of the Residence Act (AufenthG), you improve your chances of making contact with German employers and finding a job in Germany that matches your qualifications. 

To find out whether you require a visa to enter Germany, see "Who needs a visa?"

What are the requirements to receive a visa for jobseekers?

  • You are able to provide proof of vocational or academic training.
  • Your qualifications are recognised in Germany or are equivalent to a German degree or diploma. If you are seeking employment in a regulated profession, i.e. in healthcare, a professional practice permit is mandatory. For more information on the recognition procedure, please see "Recognition".
  • Have you completed vocational training? If so, you must provide proof of possessing the German language skills required for the job you are seeking. Generally speaking, a minimum level of B1 in accordance with the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) is required.
  • You are able to prove that you can cover your costs of living, since you are not able to enter into remunerated employment during this time. Proof of being able to cover living costs can be provided in the form of a blocked bank account or a Declaration of Commitment.

Info box

During your stay in Germany, you may work on trial for up to ten hours per week as part of an application process.

Do you fulfil these requirements? Find out about the entry visa process

What opportunities does the visa for jobseekers offer?

The visa or the residence permit for jobseekers can be issued for a period of up to six months.

Please beware

The residence permit for jobseekers cannot be extended. After your residence permit has expired, you may only re-apply for the same visa once you have spent the same duration abroad that was spent in Germany while seeking employment.

If you have found employment that is in line with your qualifications, you may apply for the EU Blue Card or a residence permit for qualified professionals at the competent foreigners authority without having to come to Germany beforehand.

At a glance: Visa for jobseekers

From the preparations to the application forms: This step-by-step guide shows you how to obtain a visa for jobseekers. 

Do you have any questions?

Let us advise you on your opportunities to work and live in Germany. Our experts will support you with questions regarding job search, visa, recognition and learning German. 

You can find out more about the various contact options by clicking on one of the icons in the bar below.

Smiling young woman working on her laptop at work
Skyline of Hamburg