Woman standing at the airport to enter Germany

Visa for IT specialists

As a skilled worker in IT, your skills are highly demanded in Germany. Find out here which residence title you might be eligible for and which requirements apply.

As a skilled worker in IT, your skills are highly demanded in Germany. An option to consider is a residence permit in accordance with Section 19c (2) of the Residence Act - AufenthG in conjunction with Section 6 of the Ordinance on the Employment of Foreigners (BeschV) to obtain qualified employment in Germany, regardless of the degree that you hold.

To find out whether you require a visa to enter Germany, see "Who needs a visa?".

What are the requirements to receive a work visa for IT specialists with significant work experience?

  • You have been offered a job in the IT sector in Germany.
  • You are able to provide proof of at least three years of experience in IT over the last seven years. Your professional experience adequately qualifies you for the job you would like to pursue.
  • You are able to provide proof of the relevant theoretical knowledge required for the job in question in the form of training courses and exams.
  • Your potential position in Germany is remunerated with a gross annual salary of at least €54,360 (as of 2024).
  • Your German language skills are at a minimum level of B1 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). In individual cases, you do not have to provide proof of German language skills, if the language spoken at work is not German.

Info box

The German Federal Employment Agency (BA) must approve your request for employment. As part of this process, the BA will assess whether your employment conditions (salary, working hours, etc.) are equivalent to those of domestic employees.

Do you fulfil these requirements? To find out more, see the procedure for the entry visa process.

What opportunities does a work visa for IT specialists offer?

As long as your work contract remains valid, you can apply to extend your residence permit. The general conditions in accordance with Section 9 on the Residence Act - AufenthG are applicable to the settlement permit.

Looking to live in Germany with your family? This is possible with this residence permit. Everything you need to keep in mind, in addition to the applicable requirements, can be found under Family life in Germany.

IT specialists programm on a computer
© iStock.com/skynesher

Special information offer for IT professionals

Do you need more information on working as an IT professional in Germany? On “Make IT in Germany!”, you will find everything you need to know about the German IT industry and how you can kick off your career step by step.

“Make IT in Germany!”

Do you have any questions?

Let us advise you on your opportunities to work and live in Germany. Our experts will support you with questions regarding job search, visa, recognition and learning German. 

You can find out more about the various contact options by clicking on one of the icons in the bar below.

Smiling young woman working on her laptop at work
Skyline of Hamburg