Working in Germany: the official website
for qualified professionals

Visa for self-employed business

In Germany, there are two ways of setting up your own business: you can either work as a freelancer (Freiberufler) or set up a business as a self-employed entrepreneur (Gewerbe). Find out more about the best approach for you in the article on “ways of setting up your own business”. 

If you would like to set up a business as a self-employed entrepreneur, you will need to apply for a residence permit for the purpose of self-employment. To obtain this permit, you will need to fulfil a number of general criteria and the following additional requirements, which you should ideally cover convincingly in your business plan:

  • There is commercial interest or regional demand for your products or services.
  • Your business activity is likely to have a positive impact on the economy.
  • You have secured financing for your business by way of capital or a loan commitment.

Information centres, such as business associations located in your target region, will help you assess whether you fulfil the requirements listed above. 

Did you graduate from a German university, or do you hold a residence permit for the purpose of research? 

If you would like to set up a business in connection with the knowledge you acquired in the course of your studies or your research activities, you will also need to apply for a residence permit for the purpose of self-employment. You will not need to fulfil the requirements above.
Requirements for all applicants: You will need to be able to make a living in Germany. If you are older than 45, you will also need to prove that you have adequate pension provisions. 

Term of your residence permit

If your business idea is successful and you are able to make a living for yourself and your family, you can have your residence permit extended, which is initially limited to a maximum of three years. After just three years, you can obtain a settlement permit (Niederlassungserlaubnis), which will allow you to settle in Germany for an unlimited period.


When you apply for a visa, a residence permit, a settlement permit or an extension of these documents, you normally have to pay a fee. The amount depends on your location, the duration and the purpose of your stay. A residence permit will cost you a maximum of 100 euros, while a settlement permit will cost 147 euros at most. As a rule, the fee for visas is 80 euros. Please ask the immigration authority responsible for you or mission about the fees you should expect. 


When you apply for a residence permit, you normally have to bring the following documents with you: 

  • Completed application form
  • Valid passport
  • Business plan
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Researchers and academics: current employment contract
  • Graduates from German universities: copy of your degree certificate
  • People over the age of 45: proof of adequate pension provisions

It would be wise to also submit documents on the following topics:

  • Your references
  • Your entrepreneurial experience

Please note: This list is not exhaustive or universal, as the documents you require will depend on the circumstances of your individual case. The best approach is to contact your mission or immigration authority before you apply and ask them for an information leaflet. There, you can also find out about your requirements for proof of health insurance. Your mission or immigration authority will also be able to advise you on whether your pension provisions are adequate.

YouTube Twitter Hotline

This website uses cookies that are strictly necessary for the technical operation of the website and are always set. Other cookies requiring consent, to personalize content and ads and to analyse access to our website, are set only with your consent. We also share information about your use of our website with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.