Working in Germany: the official website
for qualified professionals
Show/Hide Search

Your chances:

Germany offers you the opportunity to learn a profession through vocational training. Such training usually takes two or three years.


You have already found a training position and received a confirmation?

As a citizen of Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, the Republic of Korea, New Zealand, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland or the USA, you do not require an entry visa to enter Germany. Once you are in Germany, you have 90 days to apply for a residence permit for studying. You may only start your vocational training in Germany if you have a corresponding residence permit.

However, if you want to start your vocational training shortly after entering Germany, you may want to apply for an adequate visa before entering the country. You can apply for a visa for vocational training at the responsible German embassy in your country. 

The following information might help you with your visa application:


You have not yet found a vocational training position?

You can enter the country for 90 days without a visa and look for a training position. However, if your search for a training position was successful, you must apply for a residence permit for this purpose before beginning your training. 

Another possibility is to enter the country with a visa for the purpose of applying for training  ((interne Verlinkung zu Rubrik)). You can apply for it at the responsible German embassy in your country. It will allow you to enter the country for six months to look for suitable university place.

The following information might help you with your visa application:


Do you require individual consultation? 

There are various ways to contact us:

Information on vocational training in Germany: 

  • Find out more about vocational training and prospects after training in Germany in the Training section.
YouTube Twitter
YouTube Twitter Hotline