Working in Germany: the official website
for qualified professionals

Foreign academic qualifications

If you have a foreign academic qualification and want to work in a regulated profession (e.g. as a doctor or lawyer) in Germany, you need to have your foreign academic qualification recognised. In our sections "Who needs recognition" and "Recognition procedure" you will find detailed information on this matter.

You do not need the recognition certificate if you want to work in an academic, non-regulated profession, such as computer scientist, mathematician or economist. If you want to immigrate to Germany from a non-EU country to work and need a visa for Germany, such as the Blue Card, you must prove that your foreign academic qualification is equivalent to a German university degree. To provide such proof, you can choose one of the following options:

Positive results in the anabin database

The Central Office for Foreign Education (Zentralstelle für ausländisches Bildungswesen – ZAB) operates the anabin database, which provides information on the evaluation of foreign educational qualifications and universities. The database is currently available in German. These instructions explain how to work with the anabin database step by step.


Statement of Comparability

The Statement of Comparability is an official document which describes your foreign academic qualifications and indicates the level of the German academic qualification to which your foreign qualification is comparable. The individual statement can be requested from the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB) in Bonn. You must request an individual Statement of Comparability if your university is listed in the anabin database as " H + ", but your degree in particular is not listed.
An individual Statement of Comparability can be helpful. It is advantageous when applying for a job, changing jobs, or negotiating salary. With a statement in the German language, employers can better classify the foreign university degree. The Statement of Comparability can also be used when applying for a visa.

Information concerning the evaluation procedure, including a list of required documents and costs, can be found here. For further questions concerning the evaluation please contact the Central Office of Foreign Education (ZAB) (e-mail:


Info box:

Please note that the processing time can be up to three months, if you have provided all the necessary documents. If you apply for an evaluation in order to receive an EU Blue Card, the processing time will take two weeks. Please attach a copy of your work contract in this case.

YouTube Twitter Hotline

This website uses cookies that are strictly necessary for the technical operation of the website and are always set. Other cookies requiring consent, to personalize content and ads and to analyse access to our website, are set only with your consent. We also share information about your use of our website with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.