Working in Germany: the official website
for qualified professionals

Bringing your children to join you in Germany

You can, of course, also bring your children to Germany, because if you or your spouse are entitled to live in Germany, your children under the age of 18 are also entitled to a temporary or permanent residence permit.

Bringing your children to Germany 
If your children are citizens of a member state of the European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA), they do not require a visa to enter Germany and can live and work in Germany without restriction.

If your children are citizens of a country which is not in the EU or the EEA they will generally need a visa to enter Germany. If you and your spouse hold temporary resident permits for Germany, your children under 16 years of age will also receive a temporary resident permit to enable them to join you (Section 32 Residence Act (AufenthG)). If you are a single parent, you can also apply for a visa for your children. However, in this case you will need to obtain the consent of the other parent entitled to custody. 

To obtain a visa to join you, your children must also meet the following criteria:

  • They must not be married, divorced or widowed
  • They must be under 18 years of age.


Special requirements apply to children over the age of 16. Your local German Embassy will be able to inform you about these. If your child is already 18 years of age, they must generally apply for a separate resident permit of their own.

Birth of a child in Germany

What happens if a child is born in Germany? If at the time of the birth you hold a valid right of residence, your child will also be granted a residence permit. See Section 33 of the Residence Act (AufenthG).

German citizenship is based on the principle of parentage. This means that if either parent is a German citizen, the child automatically obtains German citizenship at birth. In special cases children can obtain German nationality at birth in addition to the nationality of their parents. You can find more information about the rules which apply in this case in the section on “Living permanently in Germany”.

Information on the internet

Federal Ministry for Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth (BMFSFJ)

Read more about family reunification for German nationals (German)

Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF)

Important information about family reunification (German, English)

A leaflet in different languages about the basic level of German required for family reunification(i. a. German, English)

    Load more links

    Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community (BMI)

    Acquiring German citizenship by birth (German, English)


    Send us your questions about living and working in Germany in German or English. We will answer as soon as we can.

    Write email


    You can get personal advice in German and English over our hotline. We look forward to your call!

    To the Hotline


    Here you'll find answers to the most frequently asked questions about living and working in Germany, as well as about our Web site and partners.

    Read FAQs


    In our chat you can put your questions to our specialists in German or English, rapidly and without prior login.

    To the chat


    Schicken Sie uns Ihre Fragen zum Arbeiten und Leben in Deutschland auf Deutsch oder Englisch. Wir antworten Ihnen so schnell wie möglich.

    E-Mail schreiben


    Über unsere Hotline erhalten Sie am Telefon eine persönliche Beratung auf Deutsch und Englisch. Wir freuen uns auf Ihren Anruf.

    Zur Hotline


    Hier finden Sie Antworten auf die häufigsten Fragen zum Leben und Arbeiten in Deutschland sowie zu unserer Webseite und unseren Kooperationspartnern.

    FAQ lesen


    In unserem Chat können Sie Ihre Fragen auf Deutsch oder Englisch direkt an unsere Fachleute stellen, schnell und ohne Anmeldung.

    Zum Chat


    This website uses cookies. By continuing to browse the website, you agree to our use of cookies.