Group of international students at university

Providing proof of secondary and higher education qualifications

Would you like to study in Germany? Find out in advance whether your school-leaving certificate suffices for enrolling in a German university.

Recognition of secondary and higher education qualifications

If you would like to study in Germany, you will need a university entrance qualification. You can check the DAAD database on admission requirements to find out if the qualifications from your country of origin are sufficient for enrolment, or if further exams, in order to be accepted, are necessary. You can use My GUIDE to check whether your qualifications are at an adequate level for your preferred courses of study and to create your own list of courses.

German Abitur (higher school-leaving certificate)/DIAP

The German Abitur or the “German International Abitur” (Deutsche Internationale Abiturprüfung – DIAP) provides you with direct access to German universities: your school-leaving certificate is recognised as equivalent in Germany.

You do not have any recognised secondary school qualifications? The preparatory course will help

Even if the qualifications from your country of origin do not meet the requirements of a German university entrance qualification, you still have the opportunity to study in Germany. You may complete a preparatory course for international students prior to your studies. This course will include language lessons and specific subjects adapted to your preferred course of study. Generally, the course takes approximately one year to complete. If you pass the assessment test, you will receive a subject-related university entrance qualification. You will find more information on the preparation course website.

Info box

International Baccalaureate Diploma (IB) / Mixed Language International Baccalaureate Diploma (GIB):

You can also study at a German university with the International Baccalaureate. The IB is recognised as a university entrance qualification in Germany if the requirements of the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs of the Länder in the Federal Republic of Germany (KMK) are met.

Due to its high amount of German content, the GIB entitles students to access universities in Germany without restrictions.

Information on the web

  1. Study in Germany Information on preparatory courses and Studienkolleg

Do you have any questions?

Let us advise you on your opportunities to work and live in Germany. Our experts will support you with questions regarding job search, visa, recognition and learning German. 

You can find out more about the various contact options by clicking on one of the icons in the bar below.

Smiling young woman working on her laptop at work
Skyline of Hamburg