Group of international students at university


Would you like to receive vocational training in Germany? Find out here which conditions you must fulfil if you require a visa.

Citizens of the EU, Liechtenstein, Iceland, Norway or Switzerland

You are welcome to start vocational training in Germany at any time. You do not require a visa for entering Germany or for starting a vocational training programme. If you would like to live in Germany, you only have to register as a resident at a local Residents' Registration Office. Further information on this subject can be found here.

Citizens from other countries

You are welcome to start vocational training in Germany. In order to do so, you will need a visa for vocational training. You can apply for a visa at the German mission abroad in your country. To be granted a visa, you have to meet the following requirements:

  • You have found a vocational training place at a company in Germany.
  • If it is a dual or in-company vocational training, the Federal Employment Agency (BA) must approve your vocational training place, because your working conditions in the company are not to be different from German apprentices’ conditions. This will generally be verified during the visa procedure.
  • You must be able to cover your living costs for the entire duration of your stay. In general, this means that you must provide evidence of having at least €903 per month (as of 2024) at your disposal. If you plan on taking part in a school-based vocational training programme, you can provide evidence of being able to cover your living costs by opening a blocked bank account or submitting a declaration of commitment. If you plan on taking part in a company-based vocational training programme, you will receive a training salary, which is also considered as evidence. If your training salary is not sufficient, you are allowed to compensate the difference by showing that you are in possession of either a blocked bank account or a declaration of commitment.

For further information on visa requirements and the documents you need for visa applications (such as proof of German language skills), please contact the German embassy in your current country of residence. The addresses of the German missions abroad can be found on our interactive world map.

If you wish to pursue a second job in Germany in addition to your vocational training, you are allowed to work in a profession that is independent of your vocational training for 20 hours per week. For example, you may work at a restaurant while training as a mechatronics engineer.

Do you have any questions?

Let us advise you on your opportunities to work and live in Germany. Our experts will support you with questions regarding job search, visa, recognition and learning German. 

You can find out more about the various contact options by clicking on one of the icons in the bar below.

Smiling young woman working on her laptop at work
Skyline of Hamburg