Working in Germany: the official website
for qualified professionals

Visa for training

You can obtain a residence permit to do training in Germany even if you are a national of a non-EU state. If you meet the requirements for the training course you are interested in and have the means to support yourself while training, you will receive a residence permit for the purposes of “school education serving to acquire a vocational qualification” (section 16 (5a) of the Residence Act). If you do your training with a company (“dual education”), you can obtain a residence permit for the purpose of “basic and advanced industrial training” (section 17 (1) of the Residence Act). This also requires the agreement of the Federal Employment Agency. Approval is usually given if there is no German applicant or another applicant with priority rights for the training course. The vocational training course must last at least 2 years. If you wish to learn a vocation at a vocational academy or similar institution, approval of the BA is not required.

During your training period, you can take up employment for up to 10 hours a week. After completing your training, your Residence permit may be extended for a year to allow you to find a job which corresponds to your qualifications. You apply for the requisite residence permit to the competent foreign nationals' registration authority. During this period, you can exercise any occupation as a means of supporting yourself. Once you have found a job corresponding to your qualifications, you can get the appropriate residence permit from the foreign nationals' registration authority. You can find out more about vocational training in Germany in the section “Study & training”. 

Information on the internet

Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF)

Important information about residence and settlement permits in Germany (German, English, Turkish)

Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF)

Flyer "The EU Blue Card" (German, English)

Load more links


Send us your questions about living and working in Germany in German or English. We will answer as soon as we can.

Write email


In our chat you can put your questions to our specialists in German or English, rapidly and without prior login.

To the chat


You can get personal advice in German and English over our hotline. We look forward to your call!

To the Hotline


Here you'll find answers to the most frequently asked questions about living and working in Germany, as well as about our Web site and partners.

Read FAQs


This website uses cookies. By continuing to browse the website, you agree to our use of cookies.