Your chances:

In order to exercise a self-employed activity as a freelancer in a liberal profession in Germany, you must apply for a visa for self-employment at the responsible German embassy in your country. Before applying for a visa, you may want to inform yourself about the documents you will require.

The following information might help you with your visa application:

Citizens of Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, the Republic of Korea, New Zealand or the USA do not require an entry visa to enter Germany. As soon as you are in Germany, you must apply for the appropriate residence permit within 90 days before starting your self-employed activity.


What are the general requirements for exercising a self-employed activity as freelancer? 

Apart from the visa requirements, you are subject to the same conditions as Germans for exercising self-employed activities. Find out about the regulations that apply in the section Setting up a business.


Questions regarding self-employment in Germany: 

  • Find out about the available special consulting and information services in the Advisory services section.

Do you have any questions?

Let us advise you on your opportunities to work and live in Germany. Our experts will support you with questions regarding job search, visa, recognition and learning German. 

You can find out more about the various contact options by clicking on one of the icons in the top bar.

Smiling young woman working on her laptop at work
Skyline of Hamburg