Working in Germany: the official website
for qualified professionals
Show/Hide Search

Your chances:

You are working as a researcher in Germany and would now like to set up a company that is not related to your research activities? To do this, you must apply for a residence permit for self-employment at your competent foreigners authority.


Do other conditions have to be fulfilled in addition to the requirements for the residence permit?

Some professions have entry requirements. If you want to become self-employed in such a profession, you may have to provide proof of certain professional skills or the recognition of your professional qualification. Find out about the general requirements in the Setting up a business section


Do you need further information and consultation?

Questions regarding the visa process: Contact us for individual consultation: 

Questions regarding self-employment in Germany: 

  • Find out about the available special consulting and information services in the Advisory services section.
YouTube Twitter
YouTube Twitter Hotline