Working in Germany: the official website
for qualified professionals
Show/Hide Search

Your chances:

In order to set up a business in Germany or to exercise a self-employed activity, you must apply for a residence permit for self-employment at at the responsible German embassy in your area. Before applying for a visa, you may want to inform yourself about the documents you will require.

The following information might help you with your visa application:

Citizens of Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, the Republic of Korea, New Zealand or the USA do not require an entry visa to enter Germany. As soon as you are in Germany, you must apply for the appropriate residence permit within 90 days before starting your self-employed activity.


Do other conditions have to be fulfilled in addition to the requirements for the residence permit?

Some professions have entry requirements. If you want to become self-employed in such a profession, you may have to provide proof of certain professional skills or the recognition of your professional qualification. Find out about the general requirements in the Setting up a business section


Do you need further information and consultation?

Questions regarding the visa process: Contact us for individual consultation: 

Questions regarding self-employment in Germany: 

  • Find out about the available special consulting and information services in the Advisory services section.
YouTube Twitter
YouTube Twitter Hotline