Your chances:

In Germany, you have a wide range of opportunities to work as a scientist or researcher. As soon as you have concluded a hosting agreement or an employment contract with a research institution, you may apply for a visa for research at the German embassy in your country. 

Citizens of Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, the Republic of Korea, New Zealand, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland or the USA do not require an entry visa to enter Germany. As soon as you are in Germany, you must apply for the appropriate residence permit within 90 days before taking up your research employment. If you want to start working as a researcher shortly after arriving in Germany, you may want to apply for an appropriate visa prior to your arrival. 

The following information might help you with your visa application:


You do not meet the requirements for a research visa but have a university degree? 

With a university degree you may also work as a researcher in Germany, if you have a visa for qualified professionals or the EU Blue Card

The following information might help you with your visa application:


Information regarding research in Germany: 

  • Find out more about research career opportunities in Germany in the Research section. 
  • The platform Research in Germany provides important information on scientific institutions, funding programmes and research career opportunities.

Do you have any questions?

Let us advise you on your opportunities to work and live in Germany. Our experts will support you with questions regarding job search, visa, recognition and learning German. 

You can find out more about the various contact options by clicking on one of the icons in the top bar.

Smiling young woman working on her laptop at work
Skyline of Hamburg