Working in Germany: the official website
for qualified professionals

Attending first language courses

If you apply for a course of study taught in German, you must provide proof that you are sufficiently proficient in German. The relevant certificates are the Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang ausländischer Studienbewerber (DSH) and the Test für Deutsch als Fremdsprache (TestDaF). Students who have passed the telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule exam, DSD II and the Goethe C2 certificate have also been accepted for admission to a German-language study course at German universities and higher-education institutions since 12.02.2016. You should nevertheless find out what language certificate meets the requirements of the course at your university.

There is normally no need to provide proof of German language skills for English-language study courses.

Tip: Regardless of what you are studying, it is advisable to be proficient in the German language at Level B2 or above. This will help you to communicate effectively without outside help – be it when shopping, at the Foreigners Authority (Ausländerbehörde) or when visiting the doctor. It will also enhance your social life and improve your career prospects if you would like to stay in Germany on completion of your studies.

If you would like to take a German language proficiency test whilst still in your home country, you can do so at one of the 157 Goethe-Institut sites worldwide. You will find the address of your nearest Institut on our interactive world map.

Information on the web
YouTube Twitter Hotline

This website uses cookies that are strictly necessary for the technical operation of the website and are always set. Other cookies requiring consent, to personalize content and ads and to analyse access to our website, are set only with your consent. We also share information about your use of our website with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.