Woman standing at the airport to enter Germany

Special regulation for assistants in nursing

Would you like to work as an assistant in nursing in Germany, accompanying people who are ill and in need of care? Find out what visa options are available for this type of employment.

The German labour market is also open to assistants in nursing from third countries. This means that people with less than three years of vocational training in nursing – or training recognised as less than three years – are able to work in the health and care sector. To find out if you need a visa to enter or a residence permit to stay in Germany, see the “Do I need a visa?” section.

You want to work as an assistant in nursing?

To take up employment as an assistant in nursing, you must meet the following conditions:

  • You must have a concrete job offer as an assistant in nursing in Germany. Ideally, you will have already signed an employment contract with your future employer.
  • You have successfully completed vocational training as a nursing or care assistant in Germany
  • or you have a foreign nursing qualification that is recognised in Germany for the purpose of assisting in nursing: For more information on the procedure for the recognition of foreign. qualifications, please visit the “Anerkennung in Deutschland” portal.

Which residence title do third-country nationals need?

If you are not a citizen of an EU/EEA State or Switzerland, you must apply for a residence title before taking up employment as an assistant in nursing. This is issued if the Federal Employment Agency (BA) has approved your employment under Section 22a of the Ordinance on the Employment of Foreigners (BeschV). The Federal Employment Agency will check that your working conditions are equivalent to those of German assistants in nursing.

Please beware

If you are over the age of 45, you must earn a certain gross annual salary for employment in Germany or provide proof of adequate pension provision. In 2024, this minimum salary is €49,830.

The residence permit for employment as an assistant in nursing (Section 19c (1) of the Residence Act [AufenthG] in conjunction with Section 22a of the Ordinance on the Employment of Foreigners [BeschV]) is issued for the duration of the employment contract plus three months. If you have a permanent employment contract, you will be granted a residence permit for a maximum of four years.

Info box

Approval of the Federal Employment Agency (BA) is obtained as an internal agency procedure as part of the visa process. No action is required on your part.

If you are still in your home country, find out about the visa procedure and entry requirements.

Do you have any questions?

Let us advise you on your opportunities to work and live in Germany. Our experts will support you with questions regarding job search, visa, recognition and learning German. 

You can find out more about the various contact options by clicking on one of the icons in the bar below.

Smiling young woman working on her laptop at work
Skyline of Hamburg