Working in Germany: the official website
for qualified professionals

Visa for studying


Do you come from a non-EU state and want to come to Germany to study here? If you have already been accepted by a state or state-approved university, you can apply for a study visa. This is valid for up to 2 years, but can be extended on request. You have to be able to prove that you have the means to support yourself for the duration of your studies. To do so, you are allowed to work during your studies for up to 120 full or 240 half days. Once you have graduated, you can extend your residence permit again for up to 18 months to find a job that corresponds to your qualifications. While looking for a job, you can exercise any kind of employment.

Applying to study

 If you have not yet been accepted by a German university but are interested in studying in Germany and meet the requirements for doing a university degree, you may be entitled to a residence permit for the purpose of applying for a course of study (Residence Act Section 16). This allows you to come to Germany for nine months to apply for a course of study or to prepare to start studying – for example by attending a language course or a preparatory course (called a “Studienkolleg”). The important thing is that you should have the means to support yourself during this time. Note that the residence permit for applying to study cannot be extended. Also, you are not allowed to take up employment at the same time (except during the holidays). You can find out how to prepare for studying in Germany in the section "Study & training". 

Information on the internet

Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF)

Important information about residence and settlement permits in Germany (German, English, Turkish)

Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF)

Flyer "The EU Blue Card" (German, English)

Load more links


Send us your questions about living and working in Germany in German or English. We will answer as soon as we can.

Write email


In our chat you can put your questions to our specialists in German or English, rapidly and without prior login.

To the chat


You can get personal advice in German and English over our hotline. We look forward to your call!

To the Hotline


Here you'll find answers to the most frequently asked questions about living and working in Germany, as well as about our Web site and partners.

Read FAQs


This website uses cookies. By continuing to browse the website, you agree to our use of cookies.