Working in Germany: the official website
for qualified professionals

Visa for a study-related internship EU

Are you enrolled at a higher education institution outside the EU and are you looking to complete an internship in Germany? With a visa to complete an academic internship in accordance with Section 16e AufenthG (German Residence Act), you can learn about the everyday working life in Germany, gather work experience and establish contacts with potential employers.

To find out whether you require a visa to enter Germany, see Who needs a visa?.

What are the requirements to issue a visa for a study-related internship EU?

  • You can provide proof of an internship agreement with a Germany facility.  
  • You are currently enrolled at a university abroad or have obtained your degree no more than two years before the visa application was successfully completed. 
  • The internship corresponds with your course of studies.
  • The facility commits itself in writing to cover your costs of living and travel costs to your country of origin, which would otherwise need to be covered by public funds. This commitment applies for up to six months following the end of the internship.

Do you fulfil these requirements? Learn about the procedure for the entry visa process.

What opportunities does a visa for a study-related internship EU offer?

A visa or residence permit to complete an academic internship shall be issued for the duration of the internship and for a maximum of six months. You may not obtain employment during this time.  

At a glance: Visa for a study-related internship EU (PDF)

Contact us


Send us your questions about living and working in Germany in German or English. We will answer as soon as we can.

Write email


In our chat you can put your questions to our specialists in German or English, rapidly and without prior login.

To the chat


You can get personal advice in German and English over our hotline. We look forward to your call!

To the hotline


Here you'll find answers to the most frequently asked questions about living and working in Germany, as well as about our Web site and partners.

Read FAQs


This website uses cookies. By continuing to browse the website, you agree to our use of cookies.