Working in Germany: the official website
for qualified professionals


If you want to learn a trade in Germany, there are certain requirements you have to meet. For example, you may need a long-term visa in order to stay in Germany for the entire duration of your vocational training.

Citizens of the EU, Liechtenstein, Iceland, Norway or Switzerland

You are welcome to start a vocational training in Germany any time. You do not require a visa for entering Germany or starting a vocational training programme. If you would like to live in Germany, all you need to do is register as a resident at a local registry office (called Einwohnermeldeamt or Bürgeramt). Further information on this subject can be found here.

Citizens from other countries

You are welcome to start vocational training in Germany any time. In order to do so you will need a visa. You can apply for a visa at the German mission in your country. To be granted a visa, you have to meet the following criteria:

  • You have found a vocational training place with a German company.
  • The German Federal Employment Agency has approved your vocational training because there are no German candidates or candidates from a privileged country (such as an EU country) for the respective position. Candidates holding a school-leaving certificate from a German school abroad are exempt from this provision. Furthermore, your employment conditions must not be different from those of German employees.

You must be able to cover your cost of living for the entire duration of your stay: In general, this means that you must provide evidence of having at least 832 euros per month (as of 2021) at your disposal. If you plan on taking part in a school-based training programme, you can provide evidence of being able to cover your living costs by opening a blocked account or submitting a declaration of commitment. If you plan on taking part in a company-based training programme, you will receive a training salary, which is also considered as evidence. In case of your training salary being lower than the beforementioned amount, you are allowed to compensate the difference by showing that you are in possession of either a blocked account or a declaration of commitment.

For further information on visa requirements and the documents you need for visa applications like German language skills, please contact the German mission in your country of residence. The addresses of the German missions abroad can be found on our interactive worldmap “Advisory & contact services”.

You would like to work in another job while pursuing vocational training? You are allowed to work up to ten hours per week in a job that is not related to your vocational training. For example, you may work at a restaurant while training as a mechatronics engineer.

YouTube Twitter Hotline

This website uses cookies that are strictly necessary for the technical operation of the website and are always set. Other cookies requiring consent, to personalize content and ads and to analyse access to our website, are set only with your consent. We also share information about your use of our website with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.