Working in Germany: the official website
for qualified professionals

Visa for language acquisition

Are you interested in taking an intensive language course for yourself and not as a preparatory measure for study purposes in Germany? This is possible with a visa for language acquisition in accordance with Section 16f (1) AufenthG (German Residence Act)

To find out whether you require a visa to enter Germany, see Who needs a visa?.

What are the requirements to issue a visa for language acquisition?

  • You’ve been admitted to an intensive German language course. An intensive German language course is generally a course in which German is taught daily for at least 18 hours per week. Evening or weekend courses are not sufficient. 
  • You are able to cover your costs of living for the duration of your stay. This can be proven by way of a blocked account or a declaration of commitment. 

Do you fulfil these requirements? Learn about the procedure for the entry visa process.

What opportunities does a visa for language acquisition offer?

The visa or residence permit for language acquisition is issued for the duration of the language course and for a maximum of 12 months. During this time, you cannot obtain employment.

At a glance: Visa for language acquisition (PDF)

Contact us


Send us your questions about living and working in Germany in German or English. We will answer as soon as we can.

Write email


In our chat you can put your questions to our specialists in German or English, rapidly and without prior login.

To the chat


You can get personal advice in German and English over our hotline. We look forward to your call!

To the hotline


Here you'll find answers to the most frequently asked questions about living and working in Germany, as well as about our Web site and partners.

Read FAQs


This website uses cookies. By continuing to browse the website, you agree to our use of cookies.